December 11, 2010

The First Love Song

It really irritates me when Whitney Houston is credited for this song which was originally recorded by George Benson nine years prior. Don't get me wrong, Whitney sang this song beautifully. But in defense of jazz artists, this was GB's song. The Greatest Love of All was released in 1977 as the main title song for movie, The Greatest, documenting the life of boxing
legend Muhammad Ali. With the historic Thrilla in Manila two years prior, the opening of Ali Mall a year later and throw in jazz's popularity in the 70's, George Benson's song was a smash hit.

It seems that every Filipino I know knows this song by heart. The song inspired us. It made us fall in love. This song was my constant companion at bedtime during those balmy summer nights in Manila. With my headset on, I would fade into a deep sleep believeing that " I found the greatest love of all, inside me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment