October 12, 2010

Saturday Night at the "Where Else?"


"Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl..."

I'm sure most of you can sing the rest of the lyrics to this 1978 disco smash hit by Barry Manilow. You've got to admit that he definitely knows how to write the songs that make the whole world sing. His distinctive voice along with his showmanship and incredible knack for writing lyrics to songs we can all relate to contributed to the

mystique of Barry. I "tortured" my wife several years ago when I took her to Barry's concert - of all days - on Valentine's Day. While she won't admit it, I can guarantee that she knew most of the lyrics to his songs. Hey, go ahead,  I can take the verbal abuse, but how can you grow up in the 70's Manila and not appreciate Barry.

My younger sister, Haj, was probably the bigger fan. She and I would just kick back for hours and listen to Barry's Live album with Barry pictured with his arms and legs spread open on the cover. Looks Like We Made It, Could It Be Magic/Mandy, Daybreak, Weekend in New England and even his commercial jingles - the list goes on. But it was Copacabana that truly contributed to his popularity in the late 70's in Manila (and perhaps, also his demise). Even though I was only in grade 7 then, the energy of the disco beat was contagious. 

Discos were popping everywhere. And my generation caught the last act of the height of the dancing scene in Manila, especially the hotel dancing scene. There was of course, Coco Banana, the creation of 70's Manila renaissance man, Ernesto Santiago. Biboy Enriquez's Stargazer at the Silahis International Hotel, Lost Horizon at the Philippine Plaza Hotel, The Jungle Bar at the Manila Hotel and Where Else "?" at the Intercontinental Hotel in Makati. Those were the days...

" At the Copa (Co!), Copacabana (Copacabana)
The hottest spot north of Havana (here)
At the Copa (Co!), Copacabana
Music and passion were always the fashion
At the Copa...she lost her love."

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! I'd LOVE to see the video you have of Where Else in the Intercontinental where i spent ALL of 1975!!! Please share: facebook.com/alypal I'd be ever so grateful! Aly

    ReplyDelete