October 12, 2010

What were you doing when this song became number 1?


I hate to admit this today but I fondly remember the day when this song became number one on American Top 40.  I was about to take my turn at Chinese garter with my cousins Gigi, Dennis, Ricky, Triccie and Katrina in the basement of the Eala family house on C. Apostol in Loyola Heights when Casey Kasem announced "the number one song in the land" as "Afternoon Delight" by Starland Vocal Band. I remember all of us screaming for joy as our favorite song finally conquered the airwaves in July
of 1976. The band would later win a Grammy for "Best New Artist" and "Best Arrangement" that same year.

The band members are Bill Danhoff and ex-wife, Tiffany Nivert-Danhoff, Jon Carroll and ex-wife, Margot Chapman. The band was formerly known as Fat City whose claim to fame is singing the back up vocals to John Denver's "Take me home country roads ." Bill and Tiffany also co-wrote the song with John Denver .

I had no idea back then that this song had sexual suggestions. For us, it was about having fun with the cousins in the afternoon. Ahh, those days of innocence.

What were you doing when this song became a hit in 1976?

No comments:

Post a Comment