December 14, 2010

The Best Love Song of 1979


The year 1979, in my very humble opinion, delivered the best collection of female jazz love vocals of all time. Angela Bofill, Patti Austin, Hillary Smith and Minnie Riperton led the pack with smash hits after smash hits in Manila. Okay, I have to admit that it was the year of many crushes and my very first girlfriend. Perhaps, that could be the reason, but I
could argue then that everyone in Manila must have been in love too in 1979.

Never Existed Before by Minnie Riperton was my favorite; my national anthem of love songs - "...So you ask me, what do I see, when I look in your eyes. I see things that have never existed before..." Let me tell you, this song hits the spot. Minnie Riperton became a a household name in the annals of jazz with the 1975 hit, Loving You. But it was Never Existed Before that truly made a lasting impact in Manila. Her fifth album, Minnie, was released in April 1979. It would be her last album. On July 12, Minnie lost her battle with breast cancer at the age of 31.

When you are in your early teens, every love song somehow delivers a punch straight to the heart. I cannot even tell you how many hours I spent just laying on my bed with my headphones and daydreamed away the many possibilities of falling in love. Every crush had a song. If I really tried hard enough, I would have fallen in love with every girl I knew. That's how powerful these songs were when you're 14.

There was this one Assumption girl whom everyone had a crush on, including myself, but there were too many guys to compete with. Plus she lived too far away to court. There were girls from Theresiana, St. Paul and St. Scholastica. You name the school, this "Mr. Casanova of Crushes" had a target. And, of course, I had several crushes with Maryknollers - our school neighbors in Loyola Heights.

Soirees were a sure bet to meet a lot of girls. "Shopping" in Ali Mall, Greenhills Shopping Center or the Quad were my other options. But this Catholic boy of Jesuit upbringing knew that the best way to meet girls were through the church choir. And if you're in the Ateneo church choir, girl's parents can't argue with your "wholesome" intentions. Thank you, Lord!

I am still friends (many thanks to facebook) with most of the girls from the Ateneo church choir. You know who you are. I dedicate this song and the next couple of songs to all of you. May it remind you of our days of secret crushes, long walks after choir practice, colorful chats in Entree, dance practices and our first days of falling in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment