January 02, 2012

The Lost Portraits: Ateneo Class 2D

Yeyet Estrada

In November of 1979, my mom gave me my first "real" camera for my 15th birthday.  I took these series of portrait photos of my classmates in 2D that same month with my Nikon F2A. These are priceless moments that are accompanied by a million stories from our days at the high school. While most continued on to graduate in 1982, I abruptly left for the states in my junior year. It was a good move for me, though I do regret not graduating with my batch mates whom I've been friends with since we set foot on the campus during our prep year.

I particularly love Yeyet's picture above. It shows a serious side of him which we all know was hardly ever visible during those crazy days in high school. I remember one late evening when Yeyet picked me up in a motor cross bike to attend
a Maryknoll soiree in LaVista. He was a riot and definitely the guy who pushed us passed our limits. Plus, he was quite the baker!

Alex and I hung out a lot as the designated PR guys for the class. It was in high school when Alex discovered that he was a chick's boy after all. He always played with his hair.

I love Eric Jurado's photo because it's a photo I took of him while he was at detention. He always had the big smile.

Jojo is actually wearing my baseball cap in his photo. The Ray Ban aviator was the fad back then as popularized in grade seven by Leo Macapanpan (even inside the classroom).

I remember Gerry's easy going attitude and his photo depicts his charismatic aura.

Eric Kipping-Torres' photo reflects his focused nature. He was always one of the smartest guys in the room as I have benefitted from copying many homeworks from him in grade school.

I remember how my compadre, Leo Suarez, habitually blew the front of his bangs constantly as if it was life's necessity.

2D was a good class that belonged to a greater collection of batch mates that made up the 1978/1982 graduating class at the Ateneo.

Last month's unexpected passing of our fellow Atenean, Kiko Rico, struck a nerve with our batch. It reminded us of how fragile life is. I have fond memories of chasing girls with Kiko, as I have many of our batch mates in the years we spent in the hallowed grounds of the school. It's been a year since my last blog post. Perhaps, it's Kiko's way of reminding me to press on.

Animo Ateneo!
Alex Araneta
Jojo Camacho
Eric Jurado
Eric Torres
Gerry Manzano
JP Trias
Leo Suarez
Eric Torres
Tad Abello
Yoohoo Villanueva
Veni Olivares
Gerry Manzano
Tonet Jacomina
Dennis Isleta
Alex Araneta
Francis Reyes
Miss Pastolero
Boom Martinez and Toby Tanada
Jack Ortiz and Eric Jurado
Roland Limgenco and Jack Ortiz
Eric Jurado and Jack Ortiz
Dennis Isleta
Gerry Manzano
Yeyet Estrada

5 comments:

  1. Yeyet....baker! I second the motion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oji! I loved the pics. It was sooo nostalgic, I could almost smell the brownies being baked to perfection!!! :D Those days are now a polar opposite of how things are today. Back then, I used to be hyper and always looked for the opportunity to get "mellow". These days, I'm permanently mellow looking for any chance to be hyper! Thanks for the memories. I hope you decide to come visit someday soon. We aren't getting any younger and one never knows how much longer we'll be around. Not being melancholy, just stating the facts. I'm sure it will be a blast when you decide to visit. Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. NICE PIX JOJI - PRICELESS! I KNOW WE JUST HAD A 2D REUNION SHORTLY AFTER XMAS TO WHICH I'M SORRY BUT WAS UNABLE TO ATTEND - LET'S HOPE TO MAKE THIS MORE FREQUENT AS YEYET IS RIGHT - CAN NEVER TELL AS TO HOW LONG WE WILL BE HERE. JUTZ PA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow George...how did you manage to hang onto these photos after so many years and so many lives? We should all be thankful you're a pack rat. Aside from the great memories, ( which Leo and I had a lot of fun looking at and sharing with the kids) the photos themselves are very good. You had an eye (not just for the ladies) even back then! Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS to above...you captioned Leo as "Alex"! - Michelline

    ReplyDelete